1) seriously, what the hell is going on with duke? jj redick gets pulled over for a DUI. here's his most excellent douchebag mugshot.
what i like best is the half popped collar. do you think that it's written in the student code of conduct of hoity-toity schools that all white guys have to have their collars of their polos popped at all times? and do you think it is located after the section that says its ok to rape people?
on the one hand, redick is only a late lottery to middle round first round pick, and two he's done with school so it's not like duke can suspend him or anything, so the tepid reaction by the media is not that big a deal. but you have to wonder, what if rudy gay had been pulled over instead?
2) here's an interesting piece about how shoe companies operate may be in violation of title IX. the gist of the argument is that all these shoe companies are providing some boys high school basketball teams with shoes, but not the girls team. therefore, the schools are not providing equal access to sports for both genders. it's a tricky legal argument, cuz the letter of the law is that schools need to provide "equal benefit" to both boys and girls, so clearly, even though it is the shoe company providing the shoes, since the school is accepting the shoes, they need to provide the same benefit for the girls. however, the spirit of the law is that schools can't prevent girls from participating, which schools aren't doing.
anyways, this could all be avoided easily by the shoe companies need to do is provide shoes for the girls too. even though girls' sports aren't as popular overall as the boys' sports, it still exposing the youth to their name brand. a whole new market to sell to. it actually makes business sense. however, my hope is that someone sues for two reasons. first, it's the fair thing to do. if you can secure free shoes for the boys, you can do so for the boys as well. second, it will bring alot of attention to the scam of expensive shoes, as i'm pretty sure anyone can show that athletic preformance and winning are completely uncorrelated with shoe brand.
3) the NBA player's union is against blood testing for human growth hormone, so they're basically giving players the green light to keep using it. i'm starting to think that we're never ever going to be able to figure out a good way to deal with steroids.
4) shaq is close to losing complete interest in this series. since it's the finals, i expect the heat to be able to muster one win, but as i said before, this thing is over. MFFL in 5. yeah i know a prediction after the series has already started is stupid, but i just wanted to let you know that i've already started celebrating.
5) this one is for my roommate, who has the unfortunate happenstance of being a detroit pistons fan. fredo and i were talking about how effective the double team has been for the mavs. we decided that the main reason for this is two fold. first, shaq is slower than he used to be and his free throw shooting is so bad, that shaq can't still score against the double team like he used to. second and more importantly, when he does pass out of the double team, which he does extremely well (watch the game tape, he almost always hits the open guy), the open guys that he is passing to are antoine walker and jason williams, and occasionally gary payton. real quick i heard a good line on the radio about the reason why riles is trotting out gary payton is that the league generally frowns upon teams having only four players on the floor. anyways, we realized that the idea of double teaming is not really rocket science, yet the pistons insisted upon playing shaq straight up with ben wallace, where shaq promptly proceeded to eat ben wallace for lunch. i'm usually not a fan of the idea of psychological reasons why teams lose, but in this case, i think that the pistons' hubris got the best of them as they felt that they were the detroit effing pistons and they're defense was good enough as is. probably most of the blame should be directed at the coach, flip saunders, but at the same time, the pistons were really full of themselves after the all star break. no matter however, as i'm sure that the mavericks could have handled the pistons as well. seriously, MFFL!