1) steve lyons hates mexicans. this happened a while ago, but one of fox's play by play guys got fired because of some racially insensitive comments he made. here's what went down according to the toronto star:
In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.to make things stranger, piniella has attempted to defend lyons, saying that the joke was misconstrued. i'm sure ian, our resident journalism correspondent will have something to say, but here's the deal. there is a good possibility that is was a misconstrued joke. and there's a good chance that lyons probably isn't a racist. however, in these times, how could you be so bad a broadcaster to say something like that. there are plenty of examples of borderline cases, but i feel that this exchange definitely goes beyond the cateogry of borderline. if you need to be funny then fine, be funny, but to say something like that right after brennaman got done praising piniella for being bilingual is just not something i think a good broadcaster can do.
Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" - hot in Spanish - because he was currently "frio" - or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.
Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" - butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" - and added, "I still can't find my wallet."
"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.
the great part of all of this is that lyons was horrible anyways, so now we only have to deal with tim mccarver's banality and incoherence on fox. will someone at fox just pay 1 million dollars to tony gwynn or someone who can bring something to the table please?
in related news, lyons also works as a part time broadcaster for the dodgers, and in their infinite wisdom have decided to retain his services. and the dodgers' brass wonder why latinos in LA have turned on them in favor of the angels.
2) U2 is launching some kind of wacky internet scavenger hunt/publicity stunt. i hate to say it, but moves like this really make me think that U2's relevance is coming to an end. what really sucks is that i had a little faith after their appearance in the leonard cohen documentary, I'm Your Man (which is pretty great by the way), but this coupled with their horrible horrible, horrible...i can't stress horrible enough here people...collaboration with green day. a new single from their new album is due out in november, so let's hope that it's better than this crap.
3) giving credence to my roommate's theory that the sun never sets on phil collins, genesis is planning a reunion tour. which is actually something that i would be quite interested in seeing. however, my guess is that like all concerts, tickets will be unaffordable. i wonder if they'll be able to work in a prog-rock version of against all odds.
4) seriously, humans suck...
5) ...but sometimes sports don't. go tigers.